A number of events in this convention are Pathfinder Society Organized Play events. This is Paizo’s worldwide fantasy roleplaying campaign using their Pathfinder rules. More information about Pathfinder Society can be found here on the Paizo website.
If you are familiar with Pathfinder Society Organized Play and have a Pathfinder Society number you can skip to the “Playing Pathfinder Society on Fantasy Grounds at FG Con” section below.
Note: if you already have Pathfinder Society characters that have played scenarios and have chronicle sheets, you should be prepared to provide copies of these chronicles in electronic form. A GM *may* ask to see all of your chronicles, but is more than likely just going to ask to see an electronic copy of your last chronicle – this will help them produce an accurate chronicle after you play their scenario and also provides a little bit of a chronicle sheet check. Please be prepared to do this – you are playing a Pathfinder Society game online, make sure you can produce your chronicle sheets online too!
To play in Pathfinder Society Organized Play a player must:
- Register for a Pathfinder Society number here on the Paizo website.
- Download the free guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play (the guide) found here on the Paizo website.
- Read chapter 1 of the guide, skim chapters 3 and 4 and read the first page of chapter 5.
- Decide if you want to make your own character or use a Pathfinder Society pregen – if you want to make your own character follow the instructions in chapter 2 of the guide.
- Register your character on the Paizo website – press the “Register a new character” at the My Pathfinder Society page on the Paizo website
Finding and signing up for a Pathfinder Society game at FG Con
First make sure that your timezone if correctly set on your FG Con user profile page – this will allow you to view the event times in your local time.
Go to the events detailed list and look for events whose title begins with “Pathfinder Society” that still have available spaces. When you find an event you are interested in click the event title link to take you to the event detail page and do the following:
- Confirm the time is good for you and that your time zone UTC offset is shown correctly after the time entry.
- Confirm that there are still spaces left: Confirmed Players + Pending Players should be less than the Maximum Players entry.
- Read the description of the event – make sure you have a character that is within the “tier” range for this scenario. Note: you can play a pregen if required – Pathfinder Society pregens can be provided for levels 1, 4 or 7.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the event detail page to see if there have been any “Comments” made on the event – the GM may have provided updates through this comments section on the event page.
- If you still want to play this game – it is at the right time for you, there are spaces and you have a PC within the level “tier” range then book a slot by using the “Booking” section of the page. Any comments you enter in the bookings section will only be seen by the GM – if you want everyone to see a comment regarding this event (e.g. the PC you plan on playing) then please use the “Leave a reply” section separately after making your booking.
- After making your booking, check your email inbox for the email address you have entered in your profile. This email address is the primary way your GM will get in touch with you – make sure it is a valid email address that you check regularly.
- Initially, your booking will be put into a “pending status”. The GM will review your booking request in the next 24 hours and will approve your request.
- In a few days after your booking the GM will get in touch with you to discuss getting your PC details off you – such as your PC in a format they can import into Fantasy Grounds and an electronic copy of your last chronicle sheet (if your PC has played a Pathfinder Society game before).
Playing Pathfinder Society on Fantasy Grounds at FG Con
Fantasy Grounds is a feature rich Virtual Table Top (VTT) that has a large number of functions that aid play in game. In order to use Fantasy Grounds to its full potential it requires the player PCs to be entered into Fantasy Grounds so that all details are ready during game-time and the VTT automation, tracking, book-keeping, etc. will operate correctly.
This does require a player to do a bit of work before the game – to make sure the GM has a copy of their character ready for the game. This can be done in a number of ways, more details can be found on the Preparing your PC for Fantasy Grounds page.